Search This Blog

Friday, May 14, 2010

All I need to know I learned from Betty White

What is a photograph? Seems like a very silly question but when I read articles, books and news in the photography world it is a HUGE question. Is a photograph what the camera captures? Is it still a photograph after I do basic adjustments like contrast, color correction? What about when I make teeth whiter, a nose (or a rear) slightly smaller? What about when I make my 7 year old a flying super man above the Grand Canyon? So what in the world does that have to do with Betty White?

Well, I was thinkin' about good ole Betty the other day. She is EVERYWHERE! The Hot Ticket right now. If you don't know who Betty White is, well all I can say is you have been living in a hole for the last 50 or so years. Betty White had her own TV show in 1958. When I checked her out on IMDb.com her popularity has gone up by 99%. In 1985 she was a Golden Girl and today well I guess she must be the Platinum Princess.

All I needed to know in life I learned from Betty White......it is essential for success and survival to reinvent. Ourself, our attitudes, our products, our services -- I mean get with it baby! Do you really think the 1958 Betty White Show would have survived for 2 seconds if she had used her 2010 Saturday Night Live Jokes? However, at the same time she has retained her sweet-salty personality that makes even the strictest teetotaler laugh at her zippy punch lines. Eventhough Betty has reinvented herself she has stayed true to her core values and maintained those for her entire life.

As a person of strong faith and a business woman in a morally & ethically challenging world I think that is not only wonderful but amazing and inspiring. So yes, it is still a photograph. Yes, it is still art. Maybe not everyone's kind of art or photograph. Maybe they should have different categories for photographs. Certainly the basic principals of a good photograph still apply but let's swing with the times and just Betty White it!

P.S. Betty White would think making a nose or rear look smaller is a WONDERFUL invention!

No comments: